Carrying over unused water allocation

Carryover Calculator
Carryover Calculator

Carryover refers to the arrangement that allows water entitlement holders to take their unused water allocation from this irrigation season, into next season.

Carryover is available to water entitlement holders on the Campaspe, Goulburn and Murray systems, the Bullarook and Loddon systems, and the Broken system. The systems have slightly different carryover rules to match their specific entitlements and hydrology.

Carryover is also available to groundwater water entitlement holders.

Carryover is not available to water entitlement holders on the Ovens and King systems or in the Tungamah and Loddon water districts, where water storages are too small to support carryover.

The carryover calculator available on the Victorian Water Register website can help water entitlement holders understand how the rules apply to their system.

Important dates

Water entitlement holders who choose to carry over their unused water allocation must ensure the allocation they wish to carry over is in an allocation account linked to a:
  • water share
  • limited term transfer of a water share
  • supply by agreement
before 5pm on Monday 27 June 2016.

If the unused water allocation is not in a linked account, it will be returned to the pool for new allocations next season.

More information

The Victorian Water Register website provides additional information about carryover.

Further information is available by phoning the GMW Customer Service Centre on 1800 013 357 or emailing

Water entitlement holders should also consider seeking professional advice from an experienced water broker or solicitor if unsure about their options.