Water Trading

News & announcements

Changes to Vic Water Trading Rules

Some of Victoria's water trading rules changed on 1 July 2014.  Click here for more information.

Ovens/King changes 

Updates on water trading in the Ovens/King system are available here.

Broken system changes

Updates on water trading in the Broken system are  available here.

Review of trading rules for the Ovens/King system

Review of trading rules for the Ovens/King system

Review of allocation and trading rules for the Broken system

Issue paper - Review of allocation and trading rules for the Broken system

The Connections Project will commence trading their 2016 temporary water allocation

The Connections Project held  water shares results from landowner purchases (strategic water purchases to facilitate connections agreements) approved through the original Stage 1 Business Case (June 2009) and Stage 1 Business Case Addendum (May 2012) and acquisition of water shares through participation in the On-Farm Program and Reconfiguration Program.

The entitlements accruing from these purchases (other than those associated with the Reconfiguration Program – DEPI owned) are contributions to the project water savings and will be converted at the end of the project (2018). The water shares and attaching allocation will remain within GMW control until that time.

Points to note:

  • As per previous years the trading will be administered by a panel of five water brokers
  • GMW (as owner of the water) is “blind” to the identity of the purchaser
  • Equal access to be given to all buyers including GMW irrigators
  • A minimum parcel of water allocation is 20 ML
  • Brokers are required to advise purchasers of the seller's identity, in this case GMW
  • Once trades have been approved they will be published on the GMW website

If you are buying, selling or moving water allocation, information and forms are available by selecting one of the following options:

Groundwater trading

Unregulated systems water trading

Regulated systems water trading  

Delivery share trading

List of water brokers


Unregulated systems water trading

Fact Sheets: Temporary and Permanent Unregulated Surface Trading

Northern Victorian Unregulated trading zones

Exchange-rate trading opportunities between Unregulated and Regulated Trading Zones

Unregulated systems forms

For more information on Unregulated Systems water trading contact the GMW trading team on 1800 013 357.


Regulated systems water trading

Trading information

Information updated 15th December 2017 8:30am

Water Allocation Trade Applications Now processing applications received by G-MW on:
Within GMW 15/12/2017
Trade between authorities


Interstate 15/12/2017
Number of applications processed to date in 2016/17 3,756
Volume of water traded to date 2016/17 (ML) 1,111,764


Water Share Applications  
Now approving applications received by GMW on:


Number of applications processed to date 2016/17 1,293
Volume of water traded to date 2016/17 (ML) 58,505


Other information

Trading rules

Trading Rules are developed by the Water Register and govern the manner in which applications are processed.

Back trade

 Back trade rules are developed by the Water Register.

Historical data

Find historical water trading data published in GMW reports as well as links to external trading data report generators.


Applications to trade and vary water entitlements can be downloaded from the  Victorian Water Register and lodged with GMW.


Applications to GMW

Fees for transactions lodged with the Water Registrar are described on the website of the
Victorian Water Register 

Applications to the Water Registrar

Fees for transactions lodged with the Water Registrar are described on the website of the
Victorian Water Registrar


Application assistance

During the Water Transfer application process, applicants may be required to sign a statutory declaration or receive consent from the existing land owner. For a full list of when these are required click here.

Download Statutory Declaration form for use with an application

  100 Point Check

Every time you apply to transfer a water share or to give a limited term transfer of a water share a 100 ID check form needs to be completed. GMW cannot process the above applications until each person signing the application as an owner (ie. seller) of the water share, or on the owner(s) behalf, has completed the 100 point identity check.

Download the 100 point check form for use with an application (40 Kb)

  Water Entitlement Storage Fee Remittance Advice Form

When completing an application to Transfer or Divide and Transfer a Water Share, all outstanding Water Entitlement Storage Fees must be paid as a condition of our approval. This form should be attached to a cheque or can be used to record credit card details.

Download the Water Entitlement Storage Fee Remittance Advice Form for use with an application

Water trading contacts


GMW Water Trading Team

Victorian Water Register


 (03) 5826 3251 

 136 186  




Contact Us online form




Water Register Web site


Watershare ownership

The Victorian Water Registrar has legal responsibility for the Water Register, which was implemented for northern Victorian regulated systems on 1 July 2007, and declared water systems in southern Victoria on 1 July 2008.

For information about recording water share transactions, including transfers, mortgages, limited term transfers and discharges of mortgage that are recorded by the Victorian Water Registrar.

Water share ownership confirmation is conducted by the Victorian Water Registrars office. Please visit the Victorian Water Registrar website for further information and application forms.


Delivery share trading 

GMW Delivery Share trading rules and trading zone information is available here.


Water brokers

The Australian Water Brokers Association (AWBA) have a list of members available here, who may be able to assist GMW customers who are seeking to engage a broker prior to trading water.

Please email ea@awba.org.au if you wish to enquire about this list.